Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Christmas Curse

I have mentioned in previous blogs, my tendency to be stressed out at Christmas.
I know most people are stressed at Christmas, but I am usually walking a fine line between stressed and checking myself into the looney bin.
You see, something always goes wrong between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Always.
I had told Adam about my affinity for trouble when we first started dating. He kind of shrugged it off.
Our first Christmas eve, he was on his way to my house when he was in a car wreck.
Year two, I ran out for some last minute gifts and Adam got to my house before I did. He walked into the house and had to step over my dad laying in the kitchen floor. He had passed out. Adam called me and said, "Your Dad is on the floor. I think you need to come home."
Year three, I was pregnant with Caleb. Adam was still in school and was coming home when a drunk driver nearly ran him off the road. Luckily, he only hit his mirror. They eventually caught the guy....
Year four, our niece got into a medicine cabinet and was rushed to the ER. She is fine.
Last year, we had to replace all of our plumbing two days before Thanksgiving.
I had mentioned to Adam that I was starting to get anxious. I know it is coming.
He just kind of ignored me. I guess he didn't want to think about it.
We spent the weekend painting where he works to make a little extra holiday money.
Adam had taken a little break.
I look up and see a man in the parking lot. He had long hair so I thought he was pulling it up.
I glanced away and then back at the man. He was screaming for help.
I dropped my paint brush, screamed for Adam and jumped off the ladder.
He had been unloading ethanol and the hose disconnected, spraying him.  
We called 911 and I helped him rinse out his eyes while the guys made sure everything else was alright.
After a ton of rinsing, a shower and a break, he thought he would be able to drive back to GA.
I am so glad that he was fine, but I hope this will be the end of our curse for the year.

No comments: