Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Faucet

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I claimed to be a genius because I helped Adam work on some plumbing? 
Well, I did it again...

After a couple of days of prodding from  my husband, I decided to fix the drippy sink in the bathroom.
I dug through mountains of tools to find the exact ones I needed.
The handle came off without incident.
I was excited. This was going to be a breeze.

45 minutes later, I am still trying to get the stupid thing apart.
I called the manufacturer.
Surely they could tell me how to take this stupid thing apart...

"There is no model number! There is nothing printed on the fauctet."
 "Mam, that is not our product."
"It is too! Every faucet in my house is made by you!"
"Mam, I can assure you it is not our faucet. We can not longer be of assistance to you."

I go to the Home Depot website, hoping I can find my faucet and model number.
It isn't there.
Do you  know why the faucet isn't on the Home Depot website?
Because I bought it at Lowes!!!!!
And it was not made by the manufacturer that I had called.
(See I told you I am a genius)

I finally got it apart thanks to instructions on the real manufactuers website. 

After a quick trip to the store, I put it back together and tested it. No More Dripping!
But, something still wasn't right.
I decided to take it apart again and make some small adjustments.
I unscrewed the nut holding the whole thing together.
Water went flying everywhere!
"Help Me!" I scremed!
Mom was here watching the kids for me.
She stood there looking at water spray across every surface in the bathroom and what did she do?
She told me to turn it off while turning on the cold water!
She did finally shut the water off under the sink.
We both laughed uncontrollably.
I did finally fix it.
It turns on, off, and doesn't even drip!
Even though the directions said, "This is an easy repair. You should go ahead and replace both sides," I stopped while I was ahead...

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I found your post pretty funny. I don't know if I could have done that. I've learned a lot having a house, but I still leave the plumbing to my hubby.

Debbie said...

I am so proud of you for tackling these things. I'll call you if I need a good plumber.