Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Goodwill and Guitars!

Lately, I have been thrift shopping obsessed.
I get so excited when I find a hideous mans shirt can be transformed into the sweetest little girl's dress!
I love finding vintage pillowcases that have so many possibilities!
And I am ecstatic that it is CHEAP!

Monday, I stranded my younger brother in the car with my sleeping children while I ran into the local Goodwill.
Because it is in one of the nicer towns the discarded goodies are usually high end and in fantastic condition.

As soon as I walked in the door, I saw a pair of pants.
The bright blues, pinks and yellows made them impossible to put back.
The picture does them absolutely no justice.
They will become a dress for Georgia Kate and the scraps will be used in her room which will be redone sometime soon.

I also found a couple of skirts for myself, but I threw them in the laundry before I snapped a picture.

Then, as I took a last minute look around the children's section, I saw it.
It hung all alone.
A woman with a new little girl spotted it about the same time I did.
Luckily, I was closer.
I ran to the check out and never looked back.
After all how could I pass up perfect condition vintage?

Since I have sewn Georgia Kate an entire wardrobe, I was feeling guilty for making very little for Caleb.
It's just so hard to make something that isn't too frilly for him.
He is just such a boy!
A couple of weekends ago I signed up for an applique class.
The insructor had several applique patterns to choose from but I had it narrowed down to a dump truck and a guitar.
Convinced I could do the guitar myself, I chose the dump truck.
We will find out how well that turns out in May.
Friday night, I sat down and gave the guitar a shot.
It isn't perfect, but that is what makes it handmade.
And to top it off, Caleb loves it!
I washed it yesterday, but it can't be put in the dryer.
He put it on, soaking wet, and refused to take it off.
He was shivering so I had to bribe him with Easter candy to get him to change.
That makes it totally worth staying up until midnight working out the kinks!

2 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

love that dress!

You are very talented!

Dustin, Caroline and Taylor said...

Where are you taking an applique class? That is my new love :) I have run into the same problem with Taylor...he has tons of shirts with a big "T" on it!